Thursday, August 5, 2010

SPOT LIGHT: Rachel Panay

I have the pleasure of knowing Rachel Panay for several year's now. She actually twisted my arm and had me show my art work at Halo for Art of Life her party she hosted, It was the first time I had ever shown my art to a large crowd. I remember my first time seeing her perform at Nation with her dancer's and having "Back to Love" in my head for day's! So I recently got to interview my friend and here's what she had to say.
ME: Where were you born and raised?
Rachel: I was born in Spokane, Washington, a small city in the eastern part of the state. My mom moved us to DC when I was 5 to get her Masters in Piano Performance at Catholic U.

ME: What were your influences while growing up, How did you become a singer, did you go to school? did you preform in church or groups?
Rachel: My 1st inspiration to sing came from watching old movies specifically Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz and how beautiful she looked and sounded in "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". When I was 8, I won my school talent show dressed exactly like her in the movie. I was hooked on performing be it dance, music or theater from that point forward.

ME: Name three people dead or alive that you would want to meet.
Rachel: Jesus, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe - all icons

ME: You recently had a stint of hosting a party at Mova for Sunday Jazz, Was this a showing of what is to come from you in the future, are you going to be doing more Jazz or are you going to keep yourself grounded and do all sorts of music.
Rachel: The SUNDAY JAZZ party at Mova is indeed a preview of things to come for me. I feel comfortable singing in all styles and will ALWAYS have Dance music releases which is where I got my start. However SUNDAY JAZZ is also a return to my roots since I have always been exposed to and active in the jazz idiom ever since attending Duke Ellington High School and Berklee College of Music in Boston which is one of the 1st jazz conservatories ever.

ME: Your latest single is smashing! Do you write all of your music?
Rachel: Thanks so much! ; ) I've either written or co-written all of my releases including this new one, "U DON'T KNOW ME", which I did with George Figares of Miami. Wonderful DJ, writer and all around guy!

ME: What can we expect from you in the future?
Rachel: I have some REALLY exciting things in the works. I am establishing a foundation that brings the focus back to live music, music education, and jazz appreciation. It is very rooted in DC history and its mission will be to promote jazz awareness and appreciation. It will involve events live music venues worldwide, workshops with children and adults in schools and studios, teaching artist tours to colleges and conservatories and much more! Its exciting because this new focus pulls together my singing and performance background, arranging background, education background, and event planning/promotion experience! I have a HUGE vision for this next chapter. I feel this year is going to be pivotal with this as the catalyst for some major growth as an artist and as an entrepreneur!

Rachel You're the Best I love you lot's and I will see you on your Birthday at Donovan House for your Live Performance.


Here are a couple Video's I found on the net of Rachel.

If anyone else would like to see Rachel Panay Preform at The Donovan House for (Twilight) on Tuesday Aug 10th, contact Timur Tugberk on Facebook to get on the Guest-list. This is a Guest list only party as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment