Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Revealed: Jason Zyk




Brian: I first off want to thank you for doing this interview, I want to showcase you and your company because you are a District of Columbian now and of course my blog is about the 202. So let's start with the questions. Where were you born and raised Jason?

Jason: I was born and raised in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Brian: OK so I know your into computers but people may not know your background. tell us how you became so savvy with computers.
Jason: my parents for a radio controlled boat, but instead they bought me my first computer, a VIC 20. There were no programs for it, just a programming book, so I had to learn how to code at an early age. Never the less, I was not thrilled with my present so I didn’t play with it, so I was grounded until I did. I learned how to make animations and through computer algorithms I learns how to write a simple tic tac toe programs as well. The summer after that Christmas I went to gifted summer camp and they taught us more computer skills, but this time on Apple computers (pre Mac). Ever since then I have been using computers, but I never thought I would go into a career utilizing them. When I was in high school, I started tutoring people on computers and doing some computer consulting which had me write a program for a landscaping company to help them manage their jobs, inventory, procurement and billing. That program is what helped me write a MRP II for a Malaysian company while I was there from '96-'97 at the age of 19.
Brian: Now I know you do not have a desk job anymore you run your own business AGAIN, this time it's a construction company, how in the heck did you move from this to that?!
Jason: I have been working for companies my whole adult career and after working for a boss I did not like and did not respect I decided, with the encouragement from a friend, to quit and start doing construction full time, which I had been doing on the side for the past 10 years.
Brian: Did you know you had skills to run a construction company? how did that start?
Jason: My father was a carpenter before he retired and ever since I was a little kid he would take me with him to work on jobs. When I was 21 I bought a 1925 bungalow in Tampa that I lovingly restored as well as built a guest house (new construction) behind the house which further honed my skills.
Brian: How did the construction company start?
Jason: While I was in Tampa fixing my house, my friends saw that I was handy and asked me to help them with projects they had and so Z Construction was born in 2000.
Brian: If I were to recommend Z Construction to others how would you explain your company and what you do?
Jason: Z construction specializes in residential and commercial remodeling as well as property management. Examples of recent projects include: bathroom and kitchen renovations, roof deck replacements and installations, complete gut jobs of row homes with new everything between the exterior walls, painting, tiling, and smaller handyman work as well. Right now, we focus 100% of our energy on properties in Washington, DC.
Brian: I know you like to travel and have been all over, and we took a trip to Europe together as well which was amazing to do! But tell the readers which are your favorite spots for Holiday!
Jason: I would have to say Montreal and Barcelona are my two favorite vacation spots that I have been so far, but travelling is my passion. Now that I work for myself I plan on travelling a lot more!
Brian: If you could pick three people dead or alive who would you pick to meet or hang out with?!
Jason: Well, my personal hero, after my Mom, is Bill Clinton, I would love to have a day with him and pick his brain on so many things from geo-political to environmental. I would love to meet Freddy Mercury and get a person concert, and lastly I would like to meet Leonardo da Vinci because he was one of the most prolific inventors and free thinkers of his time!
Brian: So I think I've known you for about ten years now and I have seen you grow into this awesome person. So where do you see your self in five years?
Jason: I would like to have a team of 5 to 10 employees working for me still with the same focus on quality as I have now, but expanding into property development as well. I would also like to be taking plenty of time off for vacations and spending more time with friends and family. Lastly, I would like to find someone who compliments me to be my partner.
Brian: Do you have any other projects your working on now!
Jason: Right now I am finishing up 3 big jobs: a complete row house remodel, installing a central ac/heating system in a house that doesn’t have one and fixing all their cracked walls and ceilings, and a very large trim job installing all new custom made wenge banisters. Luckily, I have been booked solid this entire year and next year looks to be more of the same.
I would like to say thank again to Jason Zyk for being a great friend and thank you for doing this for me on my BLOG!
If any of you are looking for projects to be done around your place feel free and check out Jason's Company Website, his company is DC's Most Referred Contractor!
Z Construction

No comments:

Post a Comment