Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering September 11, 2001

Where were you on 9/11/01?

I remember the day as if it were yesterday, at the time I lived in Crystal City and lived not even 2 blocks from the Pentagon, It was around 8:30 I walked into the Newsume office where I worked at the time, I did my usual stuff went to my locker said hello to co workers, and I walked into the break room and everyone was watching the Tv's someone said this looks like a movie, I said oh what are you guys watching! One of my co workers said the world trade centers have been attacked, So we sat there watching this unfold in the break room. Later we heard the Pentagon was hit as well, and we went to the rooftop of the Newsume while it was still in Rosslyn and saw the smoke from the pentagon about a mile away. At this point security told us to get out of the building and go home. There were bus loads of kids waiting to get into the museum, we had to tell them we were closed for the day and not knowing we would be closed for the three more days. Everyone in Rosslyn were walking around in confusion trying to get home, IF no one knows Rosslyn has some of the tallest building around DC and are in the path of the airplanes that come into National Airport. I walked to the metro and it was closed, because I take the blue-line which goes under the pentagon! I had to walk along the Mt. Vernon trail along the Potomac River, and the highways were clogged with traffic federal workers trying to get home. Walking back to Crystal City I did walk by the Pentagon and smelled the smoke. My phone did not work as everyone was trying to use communication that day. I sat on the balcony of the apartment with Nuno and watched the Pentagon down the street. I will never forget this as it is etched in my mind.


The Memorial in Shanksville, PA

After math of the World Trade Center.
Memorial at the Pentagon

No comments:

Post a Comment